Many homeowners in Maryland consider winter to be the death of their perfect garden dreams. While you’ll certainly not see much of the lush foliage and vibrant color of a Maryland summer, the experts at Four Seasons Landscaping would like to take a moment to assuage your concerns about fall’s chillier cousin. Winter is not the death of your landscape, it is simply an opportunity to try new and different things. Your dream landscape is still possible! It just might look a little different than you initially thought.
At Four Seasons, our specialists are dedicated to bringing you the absolute best in products and landscape design, but we’re also dedicated to bringing you fresh new ideas, and helpful landscaping tips! Here are some of our favorite winter landscaping ideas!
Winter Landscaping: Use Bold Colors
With the onset of winter, you may think your landscape to be devoid of color, with everything awash in monotone white and dry stems. This really isn’t the case! You just have to know where to look for your color:
- Berry-borne. Many berry-producing trees and bushes maintain their fruit throughout our Maryland winters. Try incorporating Holly for a beautiful shock of blood red berries to dot your yard (Just keep your pets from eating them, as they can hold fairly high toxicity!). Planting a crabapple can serve a dual purpose, providing your yard with gorgeous foliage, and creating a gathering place for local bird life.
- Go evergreen. Evergreens earned their name for a reason, and can provide you with more than traditional green needles. They’re available in yellows, blues and deeper tones as well.
- Break out the paint. Winter may dictate the color of a lot of your plants, but it has no effect on your hardscaping. Try bold new colors on fences, patios and exterior doors to brighten up your white winter landscape!
Hardscape Like You Mean It
You need not rely solely on plant life to sustain your design this winter. Try some new and fresh hardscaping ideas to add variety and interest:
- Fire pit focus. Winter is the perfect time to make your backyard fire pit the focal point of your landscape. It provides a relevant, warm and inviting place to gather, and goes hand-in-hand with the season.
- Hardscape standards. Noticing a lot of empty space in your winter garden? Consider sculptures, woodwork, or even an arbor to create more depth and function for your gaps and barren spots.
- Make use of light. Creative landscape lighting can bring a warm, inviting look to an otherwise chilly Maryland evening.
Winter Landscaping Ideas with Four Seasons Landscaping
At Four Seasons, we always take great joy in providing not only great ideas, but sometimes a new perspective as well. Don’t let winter make you feel like you can’t still have a gorgeous dream garden! For more winter landscaping ideas, keep an eye on our blog as we get deeper into the season!